The constituency is named after the Kikuyu people who are the majority ethnic group in the area. The constituency is well known for its colonial history links for instance the Right Reverend Musa Gitau which is Swahili for Moses Gitau. He was an African believer in democracy who led among the first Christian faithful during colonial times. He lived and worked in the town as a reverend till the time of his death and in his honor two schools and a Church were named after him.
Kikuyu town has a station on the Uganda Railway. The railway station reached the station in the year 1899.During the British colonial era the town was known as Fort Smith named after a famous officer Eric Smith in 1891 of IBEA– the Imperial British East African Company. In whose watch it was strengthened. The IBEA Company had identified a place at the border between the Kikuyu and Maasai tribes that was ideal for supplying the Uganda road with farm produce from Kikuyu farmers and when it became imperative to protect caravans on the Uganda Road the place that was first selected by Captain Lugard was abandoned for Dagoretti.
From the early days of Swahili and Arab traders, the fortified Village was a sort of supermarket. Caravans stopped over to trade with the kikuyu near the Fort. Today, some of the major centers in the Constituency include part of Dagoretti and Thogoto.
Thogoto home of The Church of Scotland Mission and was the first mission to settle in the now little town near Kikuyu Constituency. The local Kikuyu Community could not pronounce the name Scotland easily and they would pronounce it as “Thigoto” and thus the name Thogoto was born. Today the town has maintained the name Thogoto and that PCEA Church of the Torch one of the oldest mission churches still stands.